Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Friday, February 4, 2011

Why did I want surgery?

About a year ago I was told that I had high cholesterol and that no amount of dieting would fix it. I thought that was a challenge. Reading things about how to lower it with diet I found that being a vegetarian could help. I knew some friends that talked about a book called Skinny Bitch and I thought I would give it a try. The book turned me into an organic vegan overnight. I've molded to be mostly organic and occasionally non-vegan. I still don't have meat but occasionally I slip in a little dairy. After reading the book and starting my new diet I lost 10 pounds in the first week. I thought, "this is what is finally going to work for me!" After 20-30 more pounds I felt amazing! Sadly, that is as far as I got. My weight loss stalled at 300 pounds. What a crappy number to get stuck at. After a few months of trying many things to get my weight loss going again, I decided I needed some help. My mother was going through the motions to get gastric bypass and I thought I would tag along to one of the meetings. Man, that was a scary situation. I did not want the surgery after listening to what it was all about and all the things that had to be done in order to get it. After a few weeks of thinking I decided that I would start the program and see where it led me. I knew that no matter what, I didn't have to get the surgery if I didn't want to. So off I went in secrecy to these meetings and pre-surgical appointments and testing. I didn't tell anyone except my husband and of course my mother. I was embarrassed to admit that I couldn't lose weight on my own and that I had to take the easy way out and get surgery.

I finally came to a point where I had to tell someone about it. So I confided in my friends. My friends that have always been there for me. They supported me without question. I was so nervous because of everything I've heard about weight loss surgery. Some people believe it is only for lazy people that don't want to try to diet. I'm quite sure I was one of those people too. But after getting to a point where I felt I needed a little more help, I was a believer that it is not an easy way out. So in the end, I decided to get the surgery. I decided it was what is best for me and my family. I have no regrets at this point and I know that my health is only going to benefit from it. So I got the surgery to feel better about myself and to be able to exercise and be a healthy role model to my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment